Setting up as a Sole Trader may seem like an attractive option.  There is no obligation to register with Companies House, so with a minimum outlay you can set your self up and off you go. 

But have you considered whether you might need a licence to operate your business?   

For example, to make photocopies of newspaper articles (even if you only distribute them internally) you need a Licence from the Newspaper Licensing Agency. 

Something as simple as putting an advertising board or a display stand on a public pavement requires that you register for a licence from your local authority. 

As a small business it might be tempting to make shortcuts, but don’t fall foul of these regulations.  If you’re unsure as to whether you require a licence to operate your business, either contact your local authority or check out the Business Link website at and select Your Type of Business.